Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, located in the southern part of the Aegean Sea. It is the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. Crete has a long and rich history, dating back to the Minoan civilization, which flourished on the island from around 2700 to 1400 BC.
We visited Crete this summer of July and we stayed 7 days in
Crete is a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful beaches, stunning scenery, and ancient ruins. Some of the most popular tourist destinations in Crete include:
- Heraklion: The capital of Crete, Heraklion is a bustling city with a rich history. The city is home to the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, which houses a collection of Minoan artifacts.
- Chania: A charming city on the west coast of Crete, Chania is known for its Venetian architecture and its picturesque harbor.
- Rethymnon: A lively city on the north coast of Crete, Rethymnon is known for its sandy beaches and its old town, which is full of shops and restaurants.
- Agios Nikolaos: A resort town on the east coast of Crete, Agios Nikolaos is known for its beautiful lake and its traditional Cretan villages.
- Elafonisi: A small island off the coast of Crete, Elafonisi is known for its pink sand beaches and its clear waters.
Crete is a great place to visit for its beautiful beaches, its rich history, and its delicious food. The island has something to offer everyone, from history lovers to beach bums.
Here are some of the things you can do in Crete:
- Sail to the Leprosy Island
- Visit the ruins of the Minoan civilization, one of the most advanced civilizations of the ancient world.
- Explore the charming towns and villages of Crete, each with its own unique character.
- Go hiking or biking in the mountains of Crete, or take a boat trip to explore the island’s coastline.
- Relax on one of Crete’s many beautiful beaches, or go swimming in the clear waters of the Aegean Sea.
- Sample the delicious Cretan cuisine, which is known for its fresh seafood, its olive oil, and its herbs.
Hersonissos is a resort town on the north coast of Crete, Greece. It is about 25 kilometers east of Heraklion, the capital of Crete. Hersonissos is a popular tourist destination, known for its sandy beaches, lively nightlife, and water sports activities.
The town is located on a peninsula, with a long sandy beach on the north side and a rocky coastline on the south side. The beach is divided into two sections: the main beach, which is more crowded, and the smaller, quieter Golden Beach.
Hersonissos has a lively nightlife scene, with many bars, clubs, and restaurants. The town is also a popular destination for water sports, such as windsurfing, kitesurfing, and boat trips.
In addition to its beaches and nightlife, Hersonissos also has a number of historical and archaeological sites. These include the ruins of the ancient city of Chersonissos, which was founded by the Minoans in the 7th century BC.
Here are some of the things you can do in Hersonissos:
- Relax on the beach: Hersonissos has a number of beautiful beaches, perfect for sunbathing and swimming.
Star Beach, Hersonissos, Crete Go water sports: Hersonissos is a popular destination for water sports, such as windsurfing, kitesurfing, and boat trips. Visit the archaeological sites: Hersonissos has a number of historical and archaeological sites, including the ruins of the ancient city of Chersonissos.
Minoan ruins, Hersonissos, Crete Explore the town: Hersonissos has a lively town center, with many bars, clubs, and restaurants. Take a day trip: There are a number of day trip destinations from Hersonissos, such as the Samaria Gorge and the Knossos Palace.