Here at home, chili oil is a must! The whole family loves it. So now i’m sharing you my recipe but the spices are changeable. You can choose 5 of your favorite spices. The ones I used here are my own personal favorite.
Let’s go and make it. This recipe is good for 3 small jars of 100mL each.
- 300 mL neutral oil (such as vegetable, canola, or peanut oil)
- 120 gram dried chili flakes (such as Sichuan chili flakes)
- 10 pcs. cloves / nellikker
- black pepper corns
- 4 star anise / stjerne anise
- 2 cinnamon stick /kanel
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds sesamfrø
- Pinch of salt
- Divide chili flakes into the 3 jars then let them aside.
- Put the oil and add cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks, sesame seeds, laurel leaves and salt in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Enough to extract all the good stuffs from the spices.
- Stir once in a while.
- Remove from the heat then strain the oil into a jar or container using a sieve to filter off the spices.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.
The amount of chili flakes you use will depend on how spicy you like your chili oil. If you are using a very hot chili pepper, you may want to start with less and add more to taste.
Chili oil is a versatile condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes. It is great for dipping dumplings, noodles, or spring rolls. It can also be used to stir-fry vegetables or meats, or to add heat and flavor to soups and sauces.